Are you thinking about getting dental implants? Dental implants have become an increasingly popular alternative to dentures over the past decade due to the fact that they are permanent teeth replacements that look and function like actual teeth. Here are some things to know about dental implants as you contemplate whether they would be a good option for you: Dental Implants in Stillwater MN
Dental Implantation Process:
Since everyone’s oral health and dental needs are different, there is no one-size-fits all process for everyone who decides to get dental implants. However, there are certain common steps involved in the procedure:
- Developing an individualized treatment plan.
- Surgery prep (i.e., using anti-bacterial mouthwash, prescribing antibiotics if needed, determining if you will use local anesthesia or IV sedation during the surgery, etc.)
- Implanting the “root,” a post made of titanium, into the jaw bone to anchor the replacement tooth so that it can function like a real tooth. The healing process for this can take anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks.
- Once the metal post has bonded to the jaw bone, a small connector is attached to the post to hold the tooth.
- A replacement tooth–or dental crown–is then affixed to the connector piece, which is anchored and secured by the metal post, or dental implant. The dental crown will have the same color and shape as your regular teeth.
For more information on how dental implantation works, or whether or not it might be a good option for you, feel free to contact your local dentists in Stillwater MN at Stillwater Family Dental today.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
There’s a reason why more and more people have been choosing to get dental implants over dentures in recent years, and that’s because there are so many advantages to getting dental implants. Here are just some of the many advantages of getting dental implants:
- They look like real teeth.
- They function like real teeth.
- They will improve your ability to eat and speak.
- They are convenient and low-maintenance teeth replacements.
- They will improve your oral health.
- They will last a long time.
- They will boost your self-esteem and appearance.